Microsoft Cortana digital voice assistant application will not be available on Android and iOS from January 31.
Cortana, Microsoft’s digital voice assistant, will no longer be available as a standalone app to users in select markets including India, China, Australia, Spain, the UK, and Canada among others. Microsoft will remove the app in these markets on January 31, 2020.
What should I do
- Shutting down Cortana does not mean that users will not be able to access the digital assistant on Windows.
- Users can access these features through Cortana on Windows.
- Microsoft will offer Cortana as a part of Microsoft 365 apps.
- According to Cortana’s support page, the Microsoft Launcher will also be eventually updated with Cortana removed.
Suggested Article: Now All Microsoft Office Tolls in Single App
- After the shutdown, Cortana app users will not be able to use critical functions such as reminders and lists.
- Cortana reminders, lists, and tasks are automatically synced to the Microsoft To-Do app, which you can download to your phone for free
Microsoft Ending Support for Cortana on Android, iOS on January 31
“To make your personal digital assistant as helpful as possible, we’re integrating Cortana into your Microsoft 365 productivity apps. As part of this evolution, on January 31st, 2020, we’re ending support for the Cortana app on Android and iOS in your market,” said Microsoft on its support page.
Microsoft introduced Cortana as a standalone application on iOS and Android in 2015. the digital assistant hasn’t taken off the way Google’s Assistant and Amazon’s Alexa have.